Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am desperate to stop hair pulling

Hi, I need to talk to people that have the same problem as me. I have been hair pulling for 16 years now and I have to stop, as Ive got away with it not being THAT noticeable, but now, you can see the thinning patches. I am incredibly embarrassed and worried about losing my hair and having to wear a wig. I am just so upset, I have had cbt in the past but she concentrated on my panic attacks rather than the hair pulling. I have recently tried to get help again and have been refused cbt from the local 'time to talk' therapists as they feel i need relationship therapy first, I feel noone will help me and I am just so scared of going bald. Just want to talk to someone who understands me and doesn't turn me away when I try and ask for help.

Comments

• Hi Bambam. We do understand! Have you tried messaging the people at Trichotillomania Support through the website?

• Hey BamBam

I'm the lead coach at trichotillomania.co.uk and I saw this just now.

I do understand your situation and I can't emphasise strongly enough how important it is to stop NOW, not when your relationship is sorted out. Nevertheless I would love to hear about your relationship and see if I can help.

CBT is a difficult one - there are many preferred methods for treating trichotillomania now, such as the one we use, which is ACT. A book you might find helpful is The Reality Slap, which explains Act and how it works.

Stay in touch and I know you will find lots of support around here.

Love and freedom
    Neo