Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trichotillomania Support

The Trichotillomania Support forum has been restarted. Perhaps, like me, you remember what a tremendously supportive place the old forums were, with professional advice and true friendships forming.

Excited to get chatting again with old trichotillomania friends, or keen to meet new ones? Come on! Kick start our new forums by telling YOUR story.

For my part, I am Max. I started pulling beard hairs out at 18 and carried on for a long time. I have been pull free for 5 years and still find my hands searching for sharp, new facial hairs. If you have any good tips for me, do let me know and I will do my best to do the same for you.

Best regards,
Max

Comments

• Hi Max,
    I'm Louise and I first remember pulling out my hair at about the age of 11. I pick a strand, play with it for a bit then yank it out. In recent years my pulling has escalated to include eyebrows, arm/leg hairs and also other people's hair (chest/beard etc) if given the chance.

I've tried to stop but can't. Fortunately I have a lot of scalp hair so it's not really noticeable, but I have hardly any eyebrows left.

kind regards

Louise

• Hi max and Louise,
    Iv been doing it for a few years on and off but its gotten a lot worse in last few months and now I cant hide the bald patch, wear a baseball cap most of the time.. started CBT this week for other issues but based on what I read, think I will mention it in next weeks appointment. Its good to know theres others out there, looking forward to supporting others when I know more.

Best regards

Campbell

• Hi all,

I'm happy to see other people are using support groups, this is the first time I have decided to try and reach out to others suffering with trichotillomania.
    I also have bald patches on my scalp, I've been pulling for 5 years now and it's gotten to the point where I am struggling to find a way to cover the patches as they cover a very large area on my head, it has affected relationships and led to me avoiding dating. Luckily I have long thick hair where I have hair left, but the patches are very noticeable. I am doing it on a daily basis and am really struggling to stop myself, even when I am aware I am doing it. I have noticed that the days where I am in a better mood, feeling motivated and keeping busy/ have a sense of purpose are the days when I am less likely to pull and have found keeping a diary of my moods and thought processes when pulling/pull-free has been enlightening.
    Currently having CBT but I feel like the focus is on anxiety and it hasn't made a dent on my hair pulling so far.

Kind regards :)

• Hi everyone, I am Aisha.
    I have been into hair pulling since i was 11 and now i am 19+. I'm finding it really difficult to stop pulling my hair and i have a huge bald patch on the sides of my head. Unfortunately my hair isn't very thick to cover the bald patches so, i need to use a scarf to hide it. I haven't got many friends. I like to stay alone. I haven't gone or asked for help these years and to be honest i knew about the disorder Tricotrillomania just an hour ago or so. None but my family knows about this. It's really hard to find a good Psychiatrist here in Bahrain. I am happy to know that I'm not alone in this. I don't know much about this but i wish to get cured
  • Hi Max, ffflover, CJS, Aisha and Carls,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the website. Your support is so much appreciated. I can't tell you how great it is to see you guys.

Carls, I hope the CBT goes well but would just point out that even though CBT often does help people to stop pulling, if you give up using the techniques, there is a likelihood of relapse. Research shows that ongoing support works best, so make sure you have friends you can talk to and keep posting here! please ... we need you.

Aisha, I'm not touting for business but just wanted to let you know that at www.trichotillomania,co.uk the treatment is available on Skype, and we are all pull free ex pullers so we will understand.

Also there is a free e-book for you to download at http://www.coaching.care/crystals/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=51 and it is by yours truly. I'm now over 15 years pull free and it does tell you how I did it.

Love and pull freedom
    Neo

• Hi max and everyone else

I have been pulling for 25 years. I have never been pull free since i started at aged 13. At first it was very severe. I had hardly any hair no eyebrows etc. Over the years i have learned how to pick and hide it really well. I pick then i chew off the roots. Sounds awful wheb u actually say it but i get so excited when its a big root. I cant imagine ever being pull free.
  • Hi Manicpanicchick

I completely understand what you are saying about getting so excited when you find a big root. Even after 15 years pull free, my mouth still waters at the thought of that juicy root. I have found alfafa sprouts really help with that craving, as well as having 2 protein shakes every day.

We are all here and completely understand. I remember when I too couldn't imagine ever being pull free but even if you don't ever get to that space, you can still have a wonderful and happy life.

We are on your side and you are definitely not alone. I pulled for 27 years, so you have two years to go before you beat me. ;-)

If I can do it, you can too.

Love and pull freedom
    Neo

• Hi everyone,
    My name is Bailey and I have been pulling for two years now, and it has only continued to escalate since I started. I also pick at my scalp often and try to have large pieces that have blood in them, because of how it tastes. I also pick off the roots of my hair and eat them. Picking makes me feel dirty and I am constantly covered in my own hair. I'm good enough at hiding it so I don't have huge bald spots, but there are sparse areas. Whenever I think I've stopped for a week or two it just picks up again. I'm 16 and I notice is happens most at school when I'm concentrating or when I'm nervous. I've tried stress balls etc and they just don't work. It feels like my scalp almost hums for my to pick and pull.
    Any help or support would be great.
    Bailey

• Hi, I joined this group last nite... so fed up- I’ve been pulling for 27years now- eyebrows and eyelashes... mine does seem to be worse about 10 days before my mentrual cycle and I started pulling when my menstrual cycle started at age 17... I wear false lashes and see my lashes growing... they get really long then I pull them out! And I search for hairs on my face that I can pull at too... I’ve got tattooed/hyperpigmented eyebrows now... it was getting so embarrassing drawing them in... I go into a trance and can be at it for hours- such a waste of my time!!
    Has anyone tried supplements... I’ve been reading up about inositol recently...
    Please help, very unhappy- hate these strong urges :-(
  • Hi guys - you can contact our team for advice here: http://www.charizmatic.com/contact.php?referral=TSsupport

And there's more info for scalp and eyelash pulling here: http://www.trichotillomania.co.uk/support.php

• Hi all, I am new to this group. I have been pulling my scalp hair for over 22 years now. I can completely relate to all of these comments. The hair on the crown of my head is missing and I am finding it increasingly difficult to disguise it. It seems to dominate my life and everything I do. I am hoping I can pick up lots of helpful tips and advice. It is really good to speak with like-minded people.